pan-users

[Pan-users] 0.11.94 - Unable to properly decode certain posts...

From: Wolf J . Flywheel
Subject: [Pan-users] 0.11.94 - Unable to properly decode certain posts...
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:07:11 -0400

Hi...

        First of all, is it more appropriate to report such things here, or
via bugzilla?  I feel I should post here anyway, as somebody may want
to try confirming it... (and yes, I'm going to upgrade to 0.12,
probably today, but I saw nothing in the changelog about decoding
fixes, so...).

        Anyway, there are certain binary postings lately that have come down
with *all* files corrupt.  (No complaints from other people in the
newsgroup, either, which makes me suspicious!)  An example of this is
found in alt.binaries.multimedia.anime, where all files from the chain
beginning, "ATTN: shezy: Scryed ep 21 [APX] (can't help with 24, am
still looking..." (posted by Zeero) are unusable.  All Pxx files have
"Control hash mismatch"; all RAR files have CRC errors and the
extraction process ends with a "Seek error".
        Another example was in alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.repost, a recent
(but not recent enough that the articles are still on my server, sadly)
posting of "Those Who Hunt Elves episode 2" (by Xevild) [heh, sounds
like some kind of infernal system service!] where all Pxx files
reported control hash mismatch, and all RAR parts refused to extract
because of bad CRCs.

        Developers, if it helps you, Xevild has posted into alt.binaries.test
for me (all the articles with "Attn: SQQ" in the subject), and the
parts I grabbed from that post exhibit the same behavior.  I have saved
all articles for one segment, in case you need them for analysis.
Headers from one such article: