pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Q: Pan vs. yEnc posting, recommendations?

From: James Hawtin
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Q: Pan vs. yEnc posting, recommendations?
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 01:55:21 +0000 (GMT)

>       For any others reading, I know it's silly to reply to myself but I
> must emphasize how happy I am to have found ypost!  If my Freshmeat
> search this morning had turned up this little guy, all that time I
> spent pointing and clicking and ticking off segments on a sheet of
> paper ([now I know how an iterator feels, and I don't envy it its job!]
> for nothing, I might add!) could have been spent downloading and
> compiling (five minutes, tops), reading the docs (three minutes, four
> to be thorough), and configuring (another three).  That's eleven
> minutes, and I know the fiddling I did with Pan took at least 30
> minutes.

Personally, I use newspost as it fitted the bill for a commandline based
binary poster... (Run it in screen then do away) don't have to worry about
keeping X alive while the poster is running... (can also check remotely on
the status of my posting).

The only downpoint of newspost is it does not do segment reposts...
however I did a quick hack to the code to allow that, its pretty lame
solution only does one seg from one file at a time... but seeing as its
command line I can do for i in 4 5 7 10 4 ; do ; newspost -S $i ..... done

The thing about checking off missing segments with pan using a bit of
paper ... I do that :-( is there a solution ... or were you talking about
posting not leeching.

Xnews just tells you which ones you need.... :-(

James