pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Q: Pan vs. yEnc posting, recommendations?

From: Wolf J . Flywheel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Q: Pan vs. yEnc posting, recommendations?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:02:05 -0400

On Sunday 30 June 2002 21:55, James Hawtin wrote:

> Personally, I use newspost as it fitted the bill for a commandline
> based binary poster... (Run it in screen then do away) don't have to
> worry about keeping X alive while the poster is running... (can also
> check remotely on the status of my posting).

        Can newspost handle DNEWS servers?  Currently I see ypost reporting
things like this:

Connecting to xxx.xxx.xx.xx:119
result:200 news.xxx.com DNEWS 5.5h2, S13, posting OK xx.xx.xxx.xxx
Sending userid
userXXXX
result:381 PASS required
Sending password
result:480 User and password still required, authinfo command

        I hit my download limit today, so maybe it will magically start to
work after the server rolls over in the middle of the night... however,
I'm not optimistic.  (Expect the worst, and you are infrequently
disappointed!)

> The only downpoint of newspost is it does not do segment reposts...
> however I did a quick hack to the code to allow that, its pretty lame
> solution only does one seg from one file at a time... but seeing as
> its command line I can do for i in 4 5 7 10 4 ; do ; newspost -S $i
> ..... done

        Just as an "FYI", ypost will also do uu-encoded posts.  I don't think
I've actually *seen* anybody do a segment re-post, but I guess it's a
good thing to have.  :)

> The thing about checking off missing segments with pan using a bit of
> paper ... I do that :-( is there a solution ... or were you talking
> about posting not leeching.

        I was talking about posting there -- since it was not automated I
figured I'd keep track of which pieces I had posted, by writing down a
list and crossing them off.
        When leeching, I grab a bunch of .rar segments and at least one parity
file, then I say, "par r -mf whatever-file-it-is.p01" and par checks
the pieces I have, shows me which are missing or corrupt, and if I'm
not missing too many it restores them.  So, it's not totally automated
but it does let me know what I lack.  (Number-of-missing-pieces minus
number-of-good-PAR-files equals files I still need.)  BTW, I never
bother to download the PAR file itself, as it's superfluous if you have
any Pxx file.

        I certainly hope that Pan will (one day) have the ability to just take
a bunch of files and spew them out, with minimal user interaction... I
know there will be many eager beta-testers of that functionality!  :)

- --
// Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E
//
// "When two hydrogen atoms love each other very much,
//  they bond with an oxygen atom..."  --Trance Gemini, Andromeda