pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: A very quick question...

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: A very quick question...
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:03:24 -0700

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:24:50AM -0500, Vic Simkus wrote:

> I'm VERY interested in taking your work to a higher level via QT and
> making "pan" a TRUE cross-platform application.  I would like to take
> the portions of the code relevant to parsing/reading of the messages and
> wrap them with QT, discarding anything and everything related to
> gtk/gnome.  For a reason unknown to me, I would like your blessing to
> fork the project and make it independant of <gtk/gnome flame here>.

Hi Vic!

It sounds like this is a Gtk+ vs. Qt. religious issue for you.
If so, you'd probably be happier hacking on KNode, since it would
be simpler to write Pan from scratch than to decouple its core from
GLib and GMime.

If cross-platform is the goal, you could work on the mingw port -- see
<http://mail.freesoftware.fsf.org/pipermail/pan-devel/2002-June/000083.html>.
gtk2 is cross-platform.

If a Qt face the goal, even with glib/gmime under the hood, that should be
pretty easy and probably not need forking.  I'm CC'ing this to pan-users to
see how much interest there would be in this.  IMO it would be kind of fun,
but less interesting now that Gtk2's been released.

cheers,
Charles