pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: A very quick question...

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: A very quick question...
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:47:21 -0700

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 02:13:36PM -0400, gaw zay wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Devilkin wrote:
>
> > > so we could have a pan-backend package,
> > > and a pan-frontend-gtk2 package, and a pan-frontend-qt package, and a
> > > pan-frontend-ncurses package.
> >
> > I really like this idea... then I could start using pan over ssh from work!
> > :-)
>
> I was doing that from school with VNC over ssh, if you have the bandwidth
> it's quite reasonable (down 512k/up 72k on my home end)
>
> so basically we are talking about making a libpancore? I think too much of
> pan relies on gtk/glib functionality, let's see what Charles has to say to
> this :-)

Well, libpanbase _already_ exists in the source code.  It's pretty solid
and uses no GUI libraries.  It only uses glib and gmime, which are very
low-level.  You'd have be nuts to want to reinvent _those_ wheels.

Separate frontends should be easier, though, and kind of fun to have.
As always the question is who will volunteer to write it.

cheers,
Charles