pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] "% pan --revert" or setting default to always revert ?

From: Chris Petersen
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] "% pan --revert" or setting default to always revert ?
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

> I thought about this for a little bit and it seems to me that a nice way
> of handling this would be to add a "always revert" checkbox to the
> current dialog.  And then, when auto-reverting (on the next startup),
> show a dialog box for a minute or so that says, "currently resuming
> interrupted tasks" with a cancel button and an option to turn off
> "auto-resume".

sounds like a good idea to me.  However, for this to work properly
(actually, we need this anyway), there needs to be a way to prevent
duplicate tasks...  eg:

my news server was recently having trouble, so I would keep opening pan,
and havingit queue up a bunch of header downloads.  these would all hang
and I'd quit.  The next time I open up pan, if I resumed, it then added a
duplicate set of header downloads (I have auto-download new headers turned
on)...  This could pile up after awhile.

I've also noticed other things (with the gtk1 pan, haven't had much time
using the gtk2 version yet) along the same line..  like if I set pan up to
download all of the headers, and then it comes upon a group that has a
bunch (say, 20k new headers), it takes awhile.  If I get bored waiting for
this to finish and want to look at headers that have already been
downloaded, it would start a second attempt to download those 20k headers
when I opened the group.

Anyway, there should be some sort of mechanism to detect whether or not
identical tasks are already queued/running when you add a new task.  If
one is already running, the new task can be ignored.  if one is queued,
change its queue order for whatever gets the task executed soonest

-Chris