pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Launch feedback, splash screen?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Launch feedback, splash screen?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:50:04 -0700

On Tue 14 Jan 2003 18:50, Charles Kerr posted as excerpted below:
> This is unnecessary as of 0.13.3 -- Pan now initializes the cache so fast
> that splash pages and cache worker threads should be  unnecessary.

Unfortunately, that most certainly isn't the case here.  Put it this way,
after upgrading some stuff including KDE, I just came from a fresh KDE
restart.  After hitting the hotkey to start PAN, I hit the key to start KMail
(itself slow to start), stared at the screen for a bit, got KMail up, hit the
d/l messages button, THEN PAN FINALLY loads!  (I then click on KMail again to
raise it and go back to looking at the messages that just d/led, including
this, b4 going back to PAN, since I was already there b4 PAN loaded.)

Once I've loaded PAN, sometimes (presumably when everything is still in the
cache, @1/2 a gig real memory) it does come up right away, if I quit and
immediately restart it, but not always.

I'm presuming the delay is due to my rather large PAN cache, as I have it set
for 4 G, and it was fast loading during the period you had the GUI start up
fast, and the cache load in the background.  Now however, it's still slow
when the cache is actually under a gig.  I haven't measured the time, but
it's noticably longer than the "busy cursor" timeout of 12 seconds in KDE.
All this on a 1.2GHz Athlon C w/ as I mentioned 1/2 a gig of PC2100 real
memory, so altho it's not the fastest by a long shot any more, it's not a
300MHz Celeron by a long shot. either, and I'm not used to having such
problems, even on stuff many complain is slow.

I don't think it's slower than it was b4 the "background load" trial, but that
has me spoiled, and now, it seems that likely 30 seconds or longer waiting is
longer than it seemed b4 the background load trial.  I understand race
conditions and why the background load was shelved, but think it'd be nice to
have a progress dialog or at least a splash screen to show me PAN IS loading,
in the mean time.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin