pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Full lockup when using follow-up

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Full lockup when using follow-up
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:11:14 -0700

On Tue 14 Jan 2003 15:21, Jakob Breivik Grimstveit posted as excerpted below:
> On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 13:21, Jakob Breivik Grimstveit wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 12:57, Jakob Breivik Grimstveit wrote:
> > > When trying to follow-up a post Pan suddenly from today completely
> > > locks up. Had a source build, so tried to install an RPM (RH8) instead,
> > > but same behaviour. I had to kill a Pan-session yesterday due to some
> > > bad ssh-connections, so might it be that this has left some files which
> > > make trouble for me now?
> > >
> > See files 'pan_backtrace' and 'runlog' (content should be self-evident).
> >
> > Thanks in advance, guys!
>
> Since noone has answered to this, I assume it just might be a bug or
> something. Same setup, same RH8 works on my home computer just fine.
> Couldn't find any differences that could indicate why this happened.
> Should I file a bug report or something?

Just another user, here, and can't interpret the debug logs, but that could be
a couple things.  I'm guessing the most likely is the config, in ~/.pan/.
You could try renaming that or parts of it to find it.  That's what I did
when one of the last versions started crashing on me -- in my case it was a
bad file in the sent items folder.  Once I blew that away, I could retain all
the other original .pan folder, and it worked fine.  However, it could be the
config file itself or something else.

It could also be a problem with gtkspell, if you have the spell enabled one.
I run Mandrake and had that problem for some time, then in an update, PAN
would work but spelling wouldn't, then after another update, spelling was
back again.  Try loading the spell disabled RPM or compiling with that off,
and see if it helps.

Alternatively, try running PAN from a console window (I use KDE/Konsole,
here).  That often produces a better "plain English" explanation of the
problem, and has been helpful to me, at times.  Of course, sometimes the
problem goes beyond that, and the list and/or developers have to help, but
it's helpful enough of the time on enough apps, including PAN, that it's
usually one of the first things I try.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin