pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Signatures?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Signatures?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:36:41 -0700

On Thu 23 Jan 2003 13:51, Toby A Inkster posted as excerpted below:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:24:42 -0700, Duncan wrote:
> > 0.13.0 should work.  However, there's a trick to it.  The preferences sig
> > slot is designed to take an executable, not just a text file.  This is to
> > allow "fortune cookie" type sig generators to work.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Pan check the permissions on the
> signature file? If the signature is an executable, Pan should run it and
> display the output. Otherwise, Pan should just read the signature file in
> as the signature.

That may be what it does now (except for the current beta, of course), but
back when they first introduced the possibility of executable sig files, that
was ALL it did.  It was a known issue back then.  I don't recall reading
anything to the effect that had changed, altho admittedly, the approach you
mention is certainly sensible, and it may do it that way now.  I simply don't
know, as I had been using cat in front of the sig file since then and hadn't
tried it w/o, until the current bug where it doesn't seem to work at all on
the current beta.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin