pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan dies when I "reply by E-mail"

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan dies when I "reply by E-mail"
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:48:17 -0700

On Sat 25 Jan 2003 11:10, Tim Kynerd posted as excerpted below:
> Whenever I use the "Reply by E-mail" function for a Usenet article, Pan
> successfully sends the E-mail, then dies, vanishes, disappears. (Pan
> 0.13.0 running under SuSE Linux 8.1, kernel 2.4.19, on an
> i386-architecture machine, really an i686 IINM.)

That sounds like it could be something corrupted in your PAN config or cache,
which lives (hidden, of course) under ~/.pan.  I'd start by renaming the
data/messages/folders subdir, then starting pan and trying a test.  I'm
guessing a corrupted message is in the pan.sendlater dir under that, and PAN
tries to send it every time you send the mail message and fails.  If renaming
the entire messages dir fixes the problem, try renaming it back, and just
renaming the sendlater dir.  If that works, it may be easiest to simply
delete everything in the sendlater dir, wiping it clean.  If not, try
renaming other branches of the .pan dir, then either wipe it or proceed to do
the same with individual files in the problem subdir and narrow it down by
process of elimination.

I'd suggest forwarding the individual problem file to the developers, if you
had the latest version, so they could harden PAN against similar problems in
the future, but am not sure if its worth it with a version 3 minor stable
versions back, as it's possibly been fixed by now.  Still wouldn't hurt to at
least report it, I guess.  If it's fixed, they can simply mark it so.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin