pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Hello There (OT)\

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Hello There (OT)\
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:11:11 -0700

On Sat 25 Jan 2003 16:28, John LeMay posted as excerpted below:
> I think the way SuSE sets the system clock is proprietary. Every time I
> reboot my machine the clock changes to about 6 hours earlier than it
> really is. Still haven't figured out where to change it. Since I don't
> reboot very often it hasn't been a big enough issue for me to go looking
> for!

That sounds like a problem I occasionally have with Mandrake.   I think it has
something to do with time zone issues, off of UTC, as the others have
mentioned.  I haven't figured out the details, but my general feel for it is
that the RTC and the running system clock are set to different times, one's
UTC while the other is local time, or something.  If I set it and then shut
down properly right away, the system adjusts it and it's fine for awhile.
However, due to running the CPU overclocked at 100% (distributed.net) for
over a year, and the fact I run Nvidia proprietary drivers (so I can use both
outputs on my dual output Nvidia GF2, as the XF86 NV driver only runs the
primary output, unfortunately), my system isn't quite as stable as Linux
systems are supposed to be, and after some of the bad shutdowns, it will go
back to being several hours off again, until I fix it and shutdown correctly
to get the good value stored.

IOW, try setting the clock, doing a full, nice shutdown, then reboot, and see
if that fixes it.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin