pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Downloading incomplete attachments?

From: Alberto BARSELLA
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Downloading incomplete attachments?
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 20:32:05 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 29 May 2003 at 09:16:43AM -0700, Alen Williams wrote:

Just hit CTRL S as usual. I do this ALL the time. Save a bunch of broken
(incomplete) files, then go to my pay news server and download the exact
same file, except this time it only downloads the one or two missing
segments that aren't in the cache saving it as file_copy_2. Then thanks
to the magic of Parchive, away we go!

Slow down a moment, I'm missing something here....
A "good" attachment is shown as a "green jigsaw puzzle piece" and it
takes one line in the article list window.
A "bad" attachment is just a normal thread you can expand.

To save a good attachment, I just select the line and click "save" => I
get a nice file.
For a "bad" attachment, I always opened up the thread, saved all
articles separately with "save article text" and then used ydecode to
rebuild the thing.

I've tried to save with "save attachment" a "bad" attachment, and I seem
to be getting a truncated file (it's way smaller), so it may be that
pan is already doing what I want.
But I don't understand how you can "fill in" the holes by re-saving the
same attachment from another newsserver.  Is there some special setting
I have to check?  Must I expand the cache? (I use a single newsserver).

Bye,
Alberto
--
Alberto BARSELLA
** Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.