pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Downloading incomplete attachments?

From: Alberto BARSELLA
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Downloading incomplete attachments?
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 23:22:41 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 29 May 2003 at 12:55:06PM -0700, Alen Williams wrote:

This is how I normally operate Pan. On one news server I download (for
example) an episode of DS9, about 70% of which will be green complete
files, and 30% will be red incomplete files.

Ok.

Wait for that to finish, then go to another news server (giganews) that
has better completion. Select the exact same files to be downloaded (all
green this time of course).

Ok again.

Pan will now download any segments that are missing from it's cache and
save all the files again as copy_2...

Hmmm... this is the part I didn't know about.  I always thought that it
would redownload everything.  It could be that I need to change my cache
settings, right now ~/.pan/messages/cache is filled with 8Mb of stuff,
which is nothing.
In my Edit->Preferences dialog the cache is set at 10Mb, I guess I must
raise it a bit, say to one Gig :)

Then you run "par r -fm" and it renames all the files, and away we go.

Ok, this part I know :)

Interestingly if segment #1 is missing then file won't be saved. The
task reaches 100% and stays in the task list as stopped.

It's also impossible to only download segment one manually (save
article text). When you try to add it to the download queue you also get
all the other segments....

Par2 is going to screw with all of this, you have to rename the copy_2
files yourself. Perhaps a feature request could be what action to take
on duplicate file, overwrite or name as something else...

I'm not sure, but Par2 should be able to deal with that as well, but I
think you need to provide all the filenames where to search (i.e. all
the copy_2 files) when you execute the repair.

Thanks for the explanations,
Alberto
--
Alberto BARSELLA
** Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.