pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: 0.14.0.93 "He's Upstairs, Helping Porcelain Make th

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: 0.14.0.93 "He's Upstairs, Helping Porcelain Make the Bed"
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:48:53 -0600

On 2003.07.30 12:03, Charles Kerr wrote:

July 31, 2003 - New Release:

0.14.0.93 - "He's Upstairs, Helping Porcelain Make the Bed"

Compiles and runs on my mix-and-match system, and fixes some of the stuff that has kept me from using the other 0.14.0.9x releases so far, but introduces some new nuisances. I'll mention them here so we can distinguish the bugs from the personal dislikes, and then I'll bugzillafy any identified as bugs. The changes are vs. 0.14.0, since I've only used the previous .9x releases for a few seconds each, so I don't know when these changes were introduced:

1) If you are reading one article and use MB-3 to select (but not load) another one in the header pane, the body pane is erased. This is not good because it means you can't start a new sort in the header pane while reading the currently loaded article.

Notice that in the past it only erased if you selected *multiple* articles; now it erases even if you only select a single article. I've been intending to request no-erase even when you select multiple articles, but never got around to it. (For me the old behavior was undesirable but tolerable, but the new isn't even tolerable.)

2) Formerly if you selected one of your own posts, unthreaded, and sorted by author, you could find all your posts that had new or unread replies anywhere under them in their thread by skimming down the list to find those with the fonts indicating "new" or "unread". Now those fonts are only used if your actual post is new or unread, so I'm once more left trying to figure out how to find live subthreads.

Notice that if you thread the header pane and collapse the threads, the top-level post in a thread still gets the font telling you that there are new or unread replies in the thread. The change is only when you unthread the headers.

3) Very minor compared to the other two, but still somewhat annoying, for some reason the article's subject line is displayed in a different color than the text in the Score/Lines/Author/Dates columns, if no scoring colorization apples. Is there some reason for that column to be a different color? (BTW, I do remember noticing this change in the other .9x releases that I tried, .90 and .92 IIRC.)

FYI, anyone else who tried a 0.14.0.9x, failed back to 0.14.0, and now tries another .9x, will see that Pan loses all the articles between the time you failed back and the time you tried again. Don't panic; if the articles aren't so old to be gone from your server you can just use the menu to delete all the articles in the group and then fetch everything again. It will remember what you have read and what you haven't.

Thanks,
--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas