pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: from OE to PAN

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: from OE to PAN
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:01:13 -0700

Urke MMI posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:26:11 +0200:

> My friend ask me can he somehow export news messages from OE and import it
> in PAN, and how?

The thing is.. OE is a mail reader that also does news.  When U save
messages in it, it saves them in mail folders, whether they were news or
mail b4 not mattering.  PAN is for news only (tho it sends mail).  As
well, while PAN does have some folder functionality, it isn't the same.
For long term storage, basically, longer than they are on the server since
PAN like OE expires messages locally if they are expired on the server
when you check, it's probably preferable to move them to your mail client
instead.   That's what I did when I switched, moving them to KMail, which
has a converter built-in.  Or for attachments, take the PAN approach and
save the attachments to the file system directly, rather than storing them
in space wasting encoded format.

That said, it is possible.. but a bit complicated.  You'd need to
ultimately convert the messages into the modified maildir format PAN uses
for its folders, and put them there.  Presumably, you'd use a standard
mail converter (such as KMail) to convert from OE's folders to standard
*ix maildir, then use a script to do the further modification, as is
currently being discussed in the 'convert XNews folders / "Connection to
Mock Server"' thread.  I don't know of such a script yet created, but it
might exist and may turn up in that thread, or someone good at scripting
shouldn't find it to whip one up.  However, I'd still recommend simply
exporting them to mail, or saving the attachments directly to file system,
instead.

Benjamin Franklin