pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Filters, Rules and Scores

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Filters, Rules and Scores
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:55:29 -0700

Tamblyne posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:36:28 -0500:

> Hi -- I recently installed Pan 0.14.2.
>
> I belong to several high traffic mailing lists which are mirrored on
> Gmane.  I'm hoping to be able to follow these lists in the newsgroups
> rather than dealing with 400-500 email messages per day.  Several people
> in the OOo group recommended Pan.
>
> But, of course, right off the bat I'm running into a problem.  I need to
> use a filter/rule/score to identify an entry in the "Delivered-To" header,
> but that option doesn't seem to be available.
>
> Some of the people who posts to these lists are not subscribed, and this
> is indicated in a second "Delivered-To" header which contains "moderator".
>  Ideally, I want to highlight the post in the header pane to indicate
>  this, so I know a response needs to be sent to their personal e-mail
>  address as well.  Others in the group are using KMail with a script, but
>   I would like to avoid that if possible.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, PAN's current filters/scoring only works on headers
available in the overview (as shown in the wrongly named header pane,
with the exception of msgid and references), before the actual post is
downloaded.

I too have needed/wished-for/requested more powerful filtering/scoring
criteria, available on the other headers and on the body itself, but
Charles has made clear that while he doesn't disagree that it would be
useful, it isn't a particular priority for him.

Now PAN *IS* open source, and Charles DOES make it clear that patches for
such "non-priority" items are welcomed and will likely be included if it
doesn't clash with some other design priority or feature, but while I can
sort of follow C code in source and patches, I don't claim to be a coder
on my own yet, so I can't yet do anything to change the situation myself.
However, if you happen to be a decent C coder, as I said, patches are
generally welcome, and if the approach is right, the solution should work
for more than your specific problem, helping me as well.  So.. here's
hoping..  =:^)

Benjamin Franklin