pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Filters, Rules and Scores

From: Tamblyne
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Filters, Rules and Scores
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:17:03 -0500

Duncan wrote:
Tamblyne posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:36:28 -0500:

Hi -- I recently installed Pan 0.14.2.
I belong to several high traffic mailing lists which are mirrored on
Gmane.  I'm hoping to be able to follow these lists in the newsgroups
rather than dealing with 400-500 email messages per day.  Several people
in the OOo group recommended Pan.
But, of course, right off the bat I'm running into a problem.  I need to
use a filter/rule/score to identify an entry in the "Delivered-To" header,
but that option doesn't seem to be available.
Some of the people who posts to these lists are not subscribed, and this
is indicated in a second "Delivered-To" header which contains "moderator".
Ideally, I want to highlight the post in the header pane to indicate
this, so I know a response needs to be sent to their personal e-mail
address as well.  Others in the group are using KMail with a script, but
I would like to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, PAN's current filters/scoring only works on headers
available in the overview (as shown in the wrongly named header pane,
with the exception of msgid and references), before the actual post is
downloaded.

I too have needed/wished-for/requested more powerful filtering/scoring
criteria, available on the other headers and on the body itself, but
Charles has made clear that while he doesn't disagree that it would be
useful, it isn't a particular priority for him.

Now PAN *IS* open source, and Charles DOES make it clear that patches for
such "non-priority" items are welcomed and will likely be included if it
doesn't clash with some other design priority or feature, but while I can
sort of follow C code in source and patches, I don't claim to be a coder
on my own yet, so I can't yet do anything to change the situation myself. However, if you happen to be a decent C coder, as I said, patches are
generally welcome, and if the approach is right, the solution should work
for more than your specific problem, helping me as well.  So.. here's
hoping..  =:^)

Hi, Duncan.

Thanks for the response -- though it was what I had feared, it wasn't really what I wanted to hear. :)

My programming ability is not on the level that I would even attempt such a task. I'm already laughed at because of my ears, I'm not throwing code into the mix, too. :D

As you can see, I've already switched back to Mozilla. After three days of trying to configure Pan and Evolution to WFM, I gave up and ran back home. While it does have some irritating bugs, I can get it to do what I want it to do. :)

It's too bad, too, because there are a lot of things I like about Pan -- most especially the fact that it is open source. But I know how it goes when there aren't enough chefs working in the kitchen. :)

Thanks again, and I'll check back in a few months to see what's been going on with the versions to come.

Tam

--
Telling me it is true does not make it so.