pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Text-as-link problem in above post (on gmane) Was: [wish

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Text-as-link problem in above post (on gmane) Was: [wishlist] all subscribed groups view
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:04:27 -0700

Duncan posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:16:01 -0700:

> Duncan posted
> <address@hidden>, excerpted
> below, on Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:40:57 -0700:
>
>> Hmm..  Now I'm getting the "text as link" problem, but I only saw it on
>> the second-level nested quote, in the message I am replying to.  That's
>> probably why I didn't notice it b4. I guess with this I'll see if it's
>> third level as well, and if it shows up on the new text @ second level
>> nested quote.
>
> It only shows up on second level quotes, but seems to show up on ALL of
> them, from single attribution lines, to full quotes, even to smileys
> including two of the characters I have set as quote demarkers, when
> beginning a line.  Therefore, it's not content dependent, but second level
> quote dependent.  (I haven't seen quoting nested more than three deep
> since I noticed this, so don't know if it reoccurs with deeper nesting or
> not.)

Just did a quote nesting test on a test group.  It repeats with the color.

That got me wondering about color.  Changing the quote coloring
preferences changed the ones PAN saw as links, with it still repeating.  I
was able to change the colors to where none of them were seen as links.
Thus, even folks with the problem may not see it, if they have their
colors set to non-link-triggering choices.

Initially, I had second level quotes set to red, which was triggering it.
When I changed the color, it then triggered on third level quotes which
were blue initially but hadn't triggered until I changed the red ones to
not trigger.  After I got all the quotes non-triggering, I tried setting
the sig color to red to see if it would trigger on that.  It did not.
Unfortunately I didn't check the precise value of "red" on quotes that had
triggered it, so I can't say for sure that it was #FF0000, and the sig
might not be triggering it because I didn't get it set exactly right.

I can't get it to trigger again on #FF0000, but #FFED00 does seem to
trigger it in quotes.  Checking sigs..  Hmm..  It isn't a simple color,
but the interaction of multiple settings, apparently, as setting sigs to
#FFED00 doesn't trigger on that, but now #FF0000 DOES trigger on quotes!

It's DEFINITELY color related, as changing colors changes the behavior,
but there's a more complex interaction than just single item color,
obviously.

(BTW, having 20 lines w/ 1-20 levels of quote lined up in repeating colors
sure is pretty!  <g>  I have my background set to black, as well, which
makes it show up prettier than if bg was white.  I think the 20-line test
of :: is prettier than the 20-line test of >>.  Both do trigger the same,
so it's not quote delimiter that's doing it, but color, or possibly color
and ANY quote delimiter, since I haven't gotten it triggering on sigs yet.)

For duplication testing purposes.  Here's one setup that seems to trigger
it here:

Quote level
1 #FFED00
2 #FF0000
3 #00FFDA
Sig #FFED00

With those settings, level 2, 5, 8, etc, in red, trigger as links.
Changing header pane colors doesn't seem to affect it, but as mentioned,
changing sig color does, thus, I listed it as well.

I didn't try changing unquoted text color, or background, since I'd have
to change those in the GTK theme settings (no gui to change it.. GRR!!..).
If they matter, I have mine set to text=white, bg=black.

Benjamin Franklin