pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Attach binary

From: meaty
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Attach binary
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:50:00 -0400

Duncan wrote:

meaty posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on Wed, 17
Sep 2003 10:01:07 -0400:

How does one go about attaching a binary to a post (pan 0.14.0-2) ?

Unfortunately, PAN doesn't have an automated method for posting
attachments, yet.  The roadmap at http://pan.rebelbase.com/roadmap/ ,
however, shows that (and some other goodies like a database backend =:^)
as currently scheduled for 0.15.0.

However, just because it's not automated, doesn't mean it can't be done. All one needs is a separate (:uue|mime|yEnc) encoder, and then to either
paste the pre-encoded  attachment directly into PAN's compose window (with
the appropriate begin/end indication glue), or invoke the external editor
and do it there.  If one were particularly clever with scripting or
whatever, they could point the external editor  function at a script that
would prompt for a file, then encode it and insert it in the message on
the fly, b4 saving it back to the temp file and exiting so PAN would get
the message back with the encoded attachment complete and ready to send. I'm not sure if someone's already created such a script, but I DO know
there's such a script available for semi-automated signing of messages, as
it has been discussed b4, right here.

Thanks, I have a windows laptop that I can use to post my binary. I just didn't see any way to insert a binary in PAN so
I thought I would verify that it wasn't an automated process.