pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Attach binary

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Attach binary
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:46:28 -0700

Wolf J. Flywheel posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:09:05 -0400:

>       I have used "newspost" before, and it works quite well; it even does
> yEnc
> now.  It's a command-line utility and requires a small bit of reading
> before use, but it gets the job done.  There seems to be a GUI for it,
> "gnewspost", but I haven't used it.

IIRC, there R 2 GUIs for it, the Gnome one you mentioned, and a KDE one.

..  This could be interesting, tho, as now one needs three separate news
programs to do news well, one for posting binaries, one for harvesting
them across multiple servers (BNR2), and one (PAN, which is good but
doesn't do either of the above.. yet.. <g> ) for text groups and less
serious binary d/ling.

I'm definitely looking forward to both attachment posting, and the db
back-end that will enable fully integrated multi-servering features, both
now scheduled for 0.15.0, tho the db rewrite could be pretty big on its
own, and may be better off handled as the only major project at the time.
Of course, much of the single-shot anyway attachment posting code has
already been created and an experimental but non-functional gui for it was
visible in one of the betas at one point, so that one might not be so bad.

Benjamin Franklin