pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Keep Pan from marking all articles read when exiting a n

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Keep Pan from marking all articles read when exiting a newsgroup?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:16:43 -0700

Certified Repair posted
<address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:32:02 -0400:

> I'm overlooking threads I want to read because very often I don't have
> time to check every thread I'm watching before I exit the group. When I
> go back, the thread is marked as if it were all read even though there
> are unread articles. I'm using Pan 0.14.0.96 in Mandrake 9.1.

At least here on 0.14.2.91 (latest beta), that option is on the first tab
(behavior) of the preferences dialog.  I believe it has been there for
some time.  At least I've never had a problem with PAN marking everything
read when I leave a group, and I rely on the ability to keep items marked
unread that I want to reply to later but don't want to at the time.

It's also possible you may be mixing up the "new" indicator with "unread".
PAN has a three-way marking.  BOLD is new and unread; strong color but
not bold is simply unread; grayed out is read.  (The colors of course
depend on what you've chosen for your color scheme.  Here I use white text
on black background, with a gray for read messages, but that's reversed to
black text on white background as default colors, IIRC.  That's also set
in prefs, color tab, for text colors, with the background color inherited
from the GTK settings, I believe.)

Benjamin Franklin