pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone thought of adding par[1|2] support

From: Mike Brodbelt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone thought of adding par[1|2] support
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:45:33 +0100

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 20:38, Edith Gross wrote:

> Looking at it this way, you are of course right. I have suspected for a
> long time that the "problems of Pan" were in fact Gtk problems on Windows.
> They (the Gtk people) admit that Gtk might hang on Windows sometimes like
> any other Windows application. But my native Windows applictions never hang
> and Gtk does. So you would have to seperate Pan from Gtk which seems
> impossible or at least very, very tedious.

That would be a virtual rewrite job. I don't think Pan is the only thing
affected either - I'm a frequentish user of GIMP, and I've provided the
odd demo of it to people, on a couple of occasions using the Windows
port. I was never particularly impressed - a very slick app on Linux
becomes rather clunky and buggy on Windows. My experience is that Qt
based apps work better on Windows than GTK ones.

Mike.