pan-users

[Pan-users] Big Pan code commit

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] Big Pan code commit
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:07:25 -0600

I've just checked in code to Pan that uses nonblocking communication with the news server rather than the previous blocking, one-thread-per-communication model. As a result Pan is no longer a threaded application ("threads" as in pthreads, not article threading), so I was also able to remove about a thousand lines of now-unnecessary pthread code.

Removing pthreads is the big-hammer way to get rid of pthread bugs, so this should make for a more intrinsically stable Pan once any new-code bugs are stomped out.

The new code's worked fine for me for the last week of testing under normal use (setting up new accounts, fetching group lists, new headers, reading articles, posting, and decoding binaries), so I've checked it in for wider testing. If anyone's interested, please give it a spin from CVS.

For those keeping track, this is the biggest checkin to Pan in the last year. We're not quite dead yet...

Oh, and the GNet prerequisite's been dropped too.

cheers,
Charles