pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Score limit

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Score limit
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 03:06:13 -0700

Ronny Hippler posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:56:40 -0500:

> I was wondering what the max # of score entries are allowed in
> PAN's score file? It seems somewhere in the 300-500 range but can't
> determine the magic #. once the max is reached PAN just fails to score
> anything even if there is a match. Thanks

Are you sure you haven't screwed up the format or something?

Personally, here, I don't like all those comments and all that vertical
whitespace, so I delete most of the comment lines (starting with a %) and
all but one blank line between the remaining real filter lines.  (I do
often leave the date comment in for expiring scores, as it's useful when
taking a look at it later to remember how long I made that particular
effective period, and I can put why, if necessary, as well.  However,
anything non-expiring, I generally remove the date comment as well.)  I
figure that it not only makes it cleaner for me to read and parse, but
being a /far/ smaller file without all those comments, it'll load faster
from disk and take less room in disk cache memory as well.

Depending on what hardware and OS platform you use (PAN on MSWormOS,
perhaps, given your mail user agent?), as well as your choice of file
system it's stored on, it's possible there is some resource limit that
limits readable file size as well, and you may be running into that.  I
wouldn't be surprised if MSWormOS has such limitations, given the
additional hoops one has to go thru to get PAN running on the platform,
for instance.  Whether reducing comments and whitespace in the file would
allow you to squeeze in more active scores or not, I can't say, but I'd
consider it worth a try.

Benjamin Franklin