pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan freezing on SuSE

From: David Robertson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan freezing on SuSE
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:08:05 +0300

Duncan wrote:
David Robertson posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:06:09 +0300:

Are there any SuSE 9.1 or 9.2 users out there who have had problems with Pan locking up randomly? This may not even be a Pan error but I am not sure how to go about investigating. Starting from a terminal doesn't give any clues or error messages.It's a default installation, using pan-20041213-0.1

It could be the gtk+ 2.6.x from about a week back in the archive, if it
usually happens when you try to post, and it causes PAN to eat 100% of the
CPU on a single CPU until killed.  The problem is PAN is trying to pop up
a warning query (line too long, too much quoted text, top posting, etc)
but there's a bug in unpatched gtk+ 2.6.x versions that causes an endless
loop instead.

There's an available patch if you wish to compile it from source, or see
if there's an updated version of gtk+ 2.6.x available to you (in testing
or whatever), or downgrade to a 2.4.x version, which works fine, here.

If that's not it...  From a terminal, run "pan --help".  That'll give you
a bunch of debug options you can try.  If that still doesn't help, there's
more, but it's likely the gtk+ thing above as that has hit many of us, so
I'll skip that, for now.

Thanks for your reply, Duncan.

SuSE 9.2 has gtk2.4

The error occurs, not when posting, but when downloading (binaries). If I run "pan --debug" I just get lots of gibberish (tho' I'm sure there is a more correct technical term!)which then stops when the program freezes.There is a lot of cpu usage, though.

David

--
Registered Linux User No 207521
The Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/

"The above is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect that of the little voices in my head."