pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: List Request

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: List Request
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:40:24 -0700

Jim Henderson posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:43:07 -0700:

> Out of the last 24 messages posted to pan-users, 9 of the messages are
> spam offerning enhancement pills, low-cost software, or other garbage.
>
> Many of those same messages found their way to pan-devel as well.
>
> I'm guessing that Lars is correct - your ISP is dropping them.  For those
> who read through gmane, the S/N ratio is quite high.

Umm... you mean "quite low", maybe?  A "quite high" S/N ratio would mean
lots of signal, little noise.

Regardless, I read thru gmane using PAN itself, so not a lot of filtering
available (only basic subject-line/author), and while I've noticed a /few/
spam messages, it's not out of hand by any means, as yet.  I think it's
been three or four, not the nine Jim mentions.

One spam actually made it thru to pan.announce, as well.  (I get that thru
mail not on gmane.)  Not sure how /that/ can happen, if it's properly
controlled for an announce list, but it did.

The idea for making the lists open likely was to allow as many users to
post as possible.  They can always request messages be sent to them as
they don't subscribe.  However, I believe spam has become a worse problem
than it was when the lists were created, most likely.  Perhaps it's time
to revisit the rules and adjust.  Most of the rest of my lists are
subscriber only.

I think Charles is the "list admin", however, so it'd be up to him.