pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: scorefile in 0.14.2.91

From: Ed Goforth
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: scorefile in 0.14.2.91
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:33:53 -0400

Duncan,

Thanks for the regex refresher.  Yes, I do understand regular
expressions, and was just trying to quickly contrive an example, which I
admit turned out to be sloppy.

Duncan wrote:
> Ed Goforth <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 16 Jul 2006
> 02:35:41 -0400:
>
>> And a follow-up question on the "Articles -> Create Score" interface.
>> It always shows the option for "contains" grayed out for the Author
>> field.  If I write a rule by hand like
>>
>> %BOS
>> [*]
>> Score: =-9999
>>   From: aol.com
>> %EOS
>>
>> will Pan's scorefile parser barf?  Is this a legal rule?
>
> It's not a legal rule, but not for the reason you think.

So for a real Pan-generated example:

%BOS
[*]
Score: =-9999
  From: ^"oxenfreeze" <address@hidden>$
%EOS

Since many spammers (at least in the newsgroups I frequent) always
present the same name, but with random strings for the e-mail address,
would Pan properly parse & score this rule:

%BOS
[*]
Score: =-9999
  From: oxenfreeze
%EOS

or

%BOS
[*]
Score: =-9999
  From: hotmail
%EOS

I realize that I could use a "begins with" regex ala:

%BOS
[*]
Score: =-9999
  From: ^"oxenfreeze"
%EOS

for the specific case above, but I'm just wondering if there is a
specific reason why the GUI doesn't present the "contains" option.

Thanks,
Ed