pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Building Pan on windows

From: Steve Davies
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Building Pan on windows
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:33:48 +0100

On 7/13/06, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
After my windows system died I needed to reload my Pan build environment.  I
previously had it working but had not built anything since Pan 0.98 I think.

I followed the instructions in Readme.mingw with two execptions:
1) I had to make more changes to gmime than what the document indicated but
gmime did build cleanly

I found I needed to make a few more changes too. I just "fumbled
around" a little until I came up with a sane solution. Part of the
problem seemed to be that I was modifying automake source files,
rather than ".in" configure source files. I ended up doing both as
automake etc were not working.

Of course I had every intention of documenting my changes, but that
never got done. :(

2) Pan complained that it could not find libpcreposix.a when it was compiling
so I renamed libpcreposix.dll.a to libpcreposix.a

Instead of renaming the file, I changed the reference to that file
that had been added in 1) above to match the actual filename.

Pan builds fine with those changes above, opens up, downloads groups and
headers but when trying to download a message it crashes with this error from
Windows:
pan.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Did you get all of the latest version of mingw, msys and the other
libraries? I had horrible problems until I realised that "Stable" is
not enough.

[snip]

The pan.exe that Charles built works fine on this same system and I am using
gtk runtime 2.8.15.

I have built .101, .102 and .103 with no problems. I did not need any
libtool patches at-all, and they all run okay so far :)

Cheers,
Steve