pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: blank Action column

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: blank Action column
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 23:17:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:28:31 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> "Duncan" <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:49:28
> +0000:
>
>> Hmm... here, it's coming and going.  Right now, it's gone.
>
> ... And now it's back, again, after switching a few more groups. <shrug>
> /I/ don't know!

I've seen various behaviors in the 'action' column with 0.105 on several
platforms.  I'm posting now from my ubuntu install, and I see the 'stacked
discs' icon by every read article in *this* group, but no icon whatever for
multipart binary articles, whether read or unread.  I see the same behavior
on my gentoo-stable machine.

But, on my gentoo-unstable box, I see the 'stacked-disks' icon only by
the most recently downloaded multi-part -- i.e. as each multi-part is
stored to disk, the icon moves down one row and sits beside the (new)
most-recently downloaded article, such that there is always (only) one
icon visible.

<beer-induced-rant>
Just as an aside, I still find debian-based linux distributions a royal
pain the the backside to configure.  I give the ubuntu team a lot of
credit for making it better than Debian itself -- but I am not the
least bit tempted to switch away from gentoo for my real machine.

Just one tiny, self-indulgent example, if I may:  When I ran 'configure'
in the pan source directory, the error message told me I didn't have
'gtk-2.0' installed on my machine.  Sure enough, I didn't, so I went
looking for gtk in the list of available ubuntu/debian packages.

Well, it took me a good while to figure out that the 'gtk' development
packages are named 'libgtk' rather than 'gtk'.  On gentoo, by way of
comparison, the required package is named 'gtk'.  What a difference
such a trivial thing makes!
</beer-induced-rant>