pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Debugging Pan with gdb

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Debugging Pan with gdb
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:18:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:15:54 -0400, Douglas Bollinger wrote:
.
.
.
> Ok guys, I compiled gtk+ without the -fomit-frame-pointer flag...
>
> (gdb) run

> (gdb) bt
> #0  0xb7e9ce0e in gtk_tree_view_set_fixed_height_mode ()...

The problem I see is that those big hexadecimal numbers, like
0xb7e9ce0e, are not translated by gdb into source code.

This makes me suspect that you didn't compile gtk with the -g
compiler flag -- am I right?

I'm not at all certain that it would help find a pan bug in
this instance, but in general it might be a good thing to do
for debugging.

Here is what I had in mind:

In /etc/make.conf (in gentoo) there is a line like this:

CFLAGS="-whatever -flags -you -want"

and you can just edit that line to add the -g flag to build
any package with the debugging symbols included.

I suspect there is a gentoo way to add the -g flag for just
one emerge (without changing the system-wide default), but I
don't know what it is. Duncan?