pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: [0.111] 'Save As' dialog -- a question for Charles

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: [0.111] 'Save As' dialog -- a question for Charles
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:55:12 +0000 (UTC)

"walt" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:22:46
+0000:

> I've posted this idea before, but I'd really like to get
> feedback from Charles before any release candidates go
> out.  Question:  which one of us is backwards?  ;o)
>
> My problem with the existing 'Save As' dialog is this:
>
> When the 'Save As' dialog pops up, the 'Custom Path'
> radio button is pre-selected.  Now, because I almost
> always want to save attachments to the *Default* path
> for that particular group, I have to stop and click
> on the 'Default Path for Group' radio button every
> time.
>
> To me, this is just backwards:  the 'Default' path is
> the one that I want 99.9% of the time, so that one is
> the choice that should be pre-selected, not the 'Custom
> Path'.
>
> If, on the other hand, I have not taken the trouble
> to specify a default directory for that group, *then*
> the 'Custom Path' should be pre-selected, and of
> course I still have the option to specify a group-
> specific path if I want to.
>
> If anyone doesn't understand my question, please yell.
> If anyone thinks I'm wrong please tell me why.  (With
> the exception of my wife, who thinks I'm always wrong.)

The question is perfectly understandable, and I agree, the current
behavior doesn't seem logical from here, either.  If I've set the default
location, I want it to be the default, not something I have to select to
get, or it rather defeats the purpose.

You are correct, this /should/ be examined before 1.0 stable, if not
before rc-1.  In fact, I was going to bug it but then switched things
around a bit and hadn't set a new default so I forgot about it.  I'd
suggest bugging it, if you can't find a bug already entered for it.  As
usual when I suggest such things, post the bug number or URL here and I'll
comment on it too, here, 100% agreeing.

As for your wife, she apparently doesn't think you're /always/ wrong, or
you'd be calling her your ex-wife! =8^)  In fact, give her current status,
at least at one point she apparently considered you so right you were "Mr.
Right!" =8^)  As I said, the fact that said status remains, indicates
that's not /entirely/ changed, at least.  =8^)