pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] One confusing thing about the 'group search' widget

From: jef_e
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] One confusing thing about the 'group search' widget
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:52:32 -0400

walt wrote:

> IMO, the group-search widget should be blanked out any time
> I return to the Groups Pane.  My reason for searching for
> alt.foo is gone -- I've already found it and decided not to
> subscribe.
>
> Any contrary opinions?

What you are suggesting would be fine for a single group search, I
think, but for groups it would be a major inconvenience.

I don't do it often, but once in a while I'll go group *shopping* just
to see whats going on. Say I'm planning a trip to Ireland. A group
search for Ireland shows me 23 groups on Giganews. Some I don't care
about, like the genealogy groups. But there are a handful of clari.
groups, some soc. groups, and hey, even
alt.binaries.pictures.supermodels.kathy-ireland! ;) .

If I pull in headers and read a bit of one of those groups, I may still
want to go back and sample a few others before committing to any of them
by subscribing. Removing the search term would mean I'd have to re-enter
it each time.

jef