pan-users

[Pan-users] Some remarks about the user interface

From: Rhialto
Subject: [Pan-users] Some remarks about the user interface
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:14:00 +0200

Hi all,

I've been compiling the last few beta versions of Pan for NetBSD, and I
started to use it too. I have some remarks about things in the user
interface that are in my view a step backwards compared to the 0.14
series. The latest version I tried was 0.113. 0.114 is compiling now.

- Drag-select doesn't work anymore even though it is a basic GUI
  concept. This is very inconvenient, I would call it a showstopper.

- If you choose a primary newsserver and one or more secondaries, you
  get duplicate articles, so you can't just select a range of articles
  to download because it will download too much. This is very
  inconvenient, I would call it a showstopper.

- How are the different (primary) newsservers related anyway? I can't
  seem to choose between them or anything.

- I'd like my times expressed in 24 hour format please.

- If I "Save articles" I always get the ^***&*& dialog, instead of just
  saving the attachments in the default directory as set for the group.
  Worse, the dialog has the wrong pre-selection, it always selects
  "custom path" even if I previously selected "Group's default path".

- There isn't even a "Group's default path" option in the dialog if you
  didn't set something for the group; there is apparently not a global
  default path.

- In the "task list" I can't see with which server a task is associated,
  which is inconvenient in case of very slow fallback servers for
  instance.

- Something which is not really Pan's problem but of the posters: if
  there are multiple numbered posts with the numbers near the start of
  the Subject rather than near the end, all the [01/40] articles are
  grouped together even if they don't belong together.

Cheers,
-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.