pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Some remarks about the user interface

From: jef_e
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Some remarks about the user interface
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:41:49 -0400

Duncan wrote:
> Rhialto <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 28 Sep 2006
> 00:14:00 +0200:

>> - Drag-select doesn't work anymore even though it is a basic GUI
>>   concept. This is very inconvenient, I would call it a showstopper.
>
> Perhaps, but otherwise selection works better.  With 0.14.x, either mouse
> selection or keyboard selection could work, but not both, due apparently
> to interaction with a bug in the gtk widget used in the header/overview
> pane (early versions had keyboard selection working but not mouse
> selection, later ones had mouse selection working but not keyboard, IIRC).
> Now, both work, including shift-click (range select), ctrl-click
> (multi-select), and keyboard selection (shift and ctrl with up/down arrows
> and space).
> I'm not sure if the lack of drag select now is related or simply that you
> are the first to ask for it.  As long as implementing it doesn't kill
> any of the above select modes, I'd say fine, but if it does, leave it the
> way things are.

I've mentioned this as an issue in the past as well. I'd have to say
that for me, selection has taken a step backward. The only one above
that I'm not sure about working in 0.14.x is keyboard-only selection --
all other methods work fine for me. Did keyboard-only selection not work
before?

I make use of all 3 methods that use a mouse (4 if you count
double-clicking a single article), but never use just keyboard. I've
lost a major selection method -- when trying to clean out some of the
huge binary groups, I liked to just sit back, drag-select and let the
headers scroll by. No movement required on my part until I saw a point
where I wanted to stop selecting. At that point, a quick move up to
Articles/Delete - or a quick jab at the Delete key.

IMO, since Pan is a GUI app, having full mouse ability should be a top
priority. I'm glad to see the GTK folks finally get this done :)

>> - Something which is not really Pan's problem but of the posters: if
>>   there are multiple numbered posts with the numbers near the start of
>>   the Subject rather than near the end, all the [01/40] articles are
>>   grouped together even if they don't belong together.
>
> Old-pan ignored those for sorting order IIRC.  Maybe new-pan should do the
> same?  Please file a bug, tho again this might be a post-1.0 thing.

Makes me crazy when posters do this stuff as well, but I also wonder if
Pan should work around bad posting habits. Depends on how hard it would
be for the Pan crew to implement, I guess. Maybe a feature request if
someone can work out a way to figure out what is legitimate vs what is
not in those cases.

jef