pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006.10.07.0
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:40:39 +0100

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 10:02, Duncan wrote:
> AFAIK, neither Thunderbird nor KNode (nor OE for that matter) do yEnc.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear I tried both yEnc and UUE with the same results.

> yEnc (My Encoding, without the M and abbreviating encoding as enc, that's
> the proper capitalization, BTW) is the newest encoding, and the most
> popular in many groups despite the fact that a lot of clients don't
> understand it, as it's only ~5% overhead (compared to the traditional 33%
> overhead, four bytes encoded transmits 3 bytes of binary file), taking
> advantage of the fact that news is close to 8-bit clean. (Note that if
> news was entirely 8-bit clean, there'd be no need to encode at all --
> you'd simply post the files and others would simply download them as they
> do with HTTP and FTP.)
>
> The normally accepted rule is that the poster chooses how he'll post,
> since he's the one providing the content, while the downloaders get it if
> they can cope with it, and get ignored if they can't.

It's mainly for an internal ISP newsgroup so the more who can see the photos
the better the critical feedback.

I guess I need to see what others are using.  Need to see if pan has a raw
article view.

<snip lots of good info>

I did hack around a little with the script and added an option for base64
encoding (and switched it to do UUE too) via uuencode by adding to the menu
selection dialog

  ENCODE=$(kdialog --title $NAME --menu "$PROMPT" b base64 u uuencode
y "$yenc" t text/identity p pass-thru h help) || exit

and an if branch at the encoding stage.

### uuenview -${ENCODE} ${ATFILE} >> ${BODYFILE}

if [ "${ENCODE}" = "b" ]; then
    uuencode -m ${ATFILE} `basename "${ATFILE}"` >> ${BODYFILE}
  else
    uuenview -${ENCODE} ${ATFILE} >> ${BODYFILE}
fi

the -m indicates base64 encoding, omitting it indicates UUE

The resulting base64 encode didn't show in the Pan view pane but worked when
using "Save Attachment..."  Switching uuencode to UUE produced the same
encoding as uuenview so is redundant

Yes, I think a visit to the RFCs might be a good idea.

Thanks for all your time.
--
Dave