pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006.10.07.0
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:08:43 +0000 (UTC)

Dave <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 11 Oct 2006
01:57:57 +0100:

> I've done a little testing with mime/base64 and as you say, it's a
> non-starter.
>
> Manually adding the headers doesn't work as pan over rides the
> Content-Type & Content-Transfer-Encoding headers although the

Well, there's always the possibility of hacking pan. =8^)  Even if you
can't do C++ coding (as I can't), if it's as simple as commenting out the
lines that add the content type and encoding headers, adding a simple // a
couple times isn't terribly hard.  Or you might be able to change the
string-literal pan uses. Of course, do that and you'd best compile a
pan-text and pan-bin version, the one for posting text, the other for
posting binaries.

I hadn't realized that UUE is being deprecated out entirely, as seems to
be the case with knode and Thunderbird, but it's not surprising really,
given that MIME is the only full standard, but neither of those clients are
very good at binary groups anyway. I'm not sure about Thunderbird, but
knode doesn't do yEnc at all, AFAIK (or I may well have gone with it
rather than pan since the rest of my desktop is KDE), so it's already
doomed for modern binaries.

I had been keeping knode installed for the occasional binary post, but
haven't used it at all for ages, and keeping something installed when it
means every update is a full compile as it does on Gentoo is good
motivation to reduce your installed package count to what is actually
used.  Since that's good security practice anyway, less stuff sitting
around with potential vulns, I consider encouraging the removal of unused
packages a /good/ thing.  In any event, I expect I'll not have knode
installed much longer here.  (In fact, I think I'll launch an unmerge as
soon as I post this.)