pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Can Pan watch a group, especially in the background??

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Can Pan watch a group, especially in the background??
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:58:00 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 29 Oct
2006 17:01:56 -0500:

> If I can't sort my subscriptions by server any more in 1.0 (or by some
> better criterion, of which I can imagine several), one thing that would
> cut the length of the list of groups would be to put the ones that seldom
> show any activity (e.g., tn.linux, gmane.org.infiniteink) somewhere out of
> sight, unless and until a post appears in one -- and then be notified
> somehow ...

pan can't do that currently, AFAIK.

As I believe I said once before, you can run multiple instances of pan,
setting PAN_HOME differently for each one, and keep separate groups and
settings in each instance.

As I recall, you couldn't follow my explanation, tho.  Maybe try again,
leaving out the options, making it real simple?

1)  Create a pan dir in your home dir.

One way to do this is as follows (from the command line, logged in as your
regular user):

mkdir ~/pan

2)  Create subdirs in it for each instance you want to run.

After this, if you choose to run three instances labeled a, b and c,
you'll have

~/pan/a/
~/pan/b/
~/pan/c/

The example way to make the first one would be

mkdir ~/pan/a

3) If you don't have one, create a bin dir in your home dir, in which to
put scripts you can run.  Thus,

~/bin/

4) In that bin dir, create the following three files (assuming the same
three instances):

pan.a contains:
#!/bin/bash
export PAN_HOME="~/pan/a"
exec pan $*

pan.b contains:
#!/bin/bash
export PAN_HOME="~/pan/b"
exec pan $*

pan.c contains:
#!/bin/bash
export PAN_HOME="~/pan/c"
exec pan $*

5) Now, set those files as executable for your normal user.  One way to do
this is as follows:

chmod u+x ~/bin/pan.*

6) Now, again from the command line (you could setup a menu entry but I can
only tell you how to do that in KDE, and I don't know whether you are
running it), you should be able to run any of those three instances,
invoking them as (for the first one):

~/bin/pan.a

7) Copy or move your existing config into each of the ~/pan/X subdirs if
you want to start with what you had.

8) Of course, they don't have to be labeled a, b and c.  You can change
the parallel instances of a, b and c to whatever names you want, and add
additional ones if desired.

9) Once that is working, post what desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, or
whatever) you use, and someone should be able to help you setup menu
entries, but the above should get you started, anyway.