pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.129 - a few minor issues

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.129 - a few minor issues
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 15:54:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 11 May 2007 05:16:21 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Please don't top post.  It messes up quote context.  There's a reason
> pan warns about it.  Please respect that on the pan list, even if you
> top post elsewhere.

Sorry, I usually do, and in fact with this particular reply, I originally
nuked all the quotes and then thought better of it....That's what I get
for using the e-mail interface rather than the gmane interface. ;-)

> Old-pan was fully multithreaded.  This increased performance some and
> [...]

Thanks for this great explanation of the differences between old and new
pan - that really helps.

> As for this new issue, bottlenecking on loading a group...
>
> * If you have download new headers when entering group set, you'll see
> more of a slowdown.  Try turning that off and triggering your header
> downloads only manually.  That should help.

Not turned on - I have it set to pull new headers at startup, otherwise
just when I hit Shift+A (still getting used to that instead of CTRL+SHIFT
+U).

> * pan now message-threads dynamically as it gets headers, [...]

OK, that explains why with a large number of headers there was a bit of a
slowdown upon entering the group.  Now that I've pruned back the headers
(one group in particular has about 650,000 messages in it and was clearly
showing the issue)

> * As mentioned above, I'm not been following the decode-and-save multi-
> threading very closely, as I don't have the issue the way I do things,
> but I'm not sure if it has been merged into trunk or is still being
> tested outside of trunk.  If it hasn't been merged to trunk yet, you'll
> see slowdowns during decode and save, and thus be able to avoid them by
> using my technique of downloading to cache first (while working on
> something else, or sleeping/working/shopping/whatever), then coming back
> when everything's in local cache to do your actual sorting and saving of
> attachments to disk.  You'll need to increase your cache size, but I
> cover that in other posts.

I use pan primarily for reading text-only newsgroups, so decode-and-save
isn't an issue for me.

Jim