pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: "MySQL Backend?"

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: "MySQL Backend?"
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 22:07:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 11 May 2007 23:30:42 +0200, Robert Krig wrote:

> Hi guys. I was just wondering about something. Would it bring any speed
> improvement if PAN would use a MySQL backend to store Articles and
> Newsgroups?
>
> It seems as if PAN often chokes on very large newsgroups while browsing,
> entering, or updating them. I was wondering if this could be improved
> upon with an (optional) mysql backend as DB Storage?

Actually, I'd think something like FLAIM or XFLAIM would be a better
database for this, given the type and structure of the data involved.
There is a natural hierarchical relationship between articles in a
newsgroup, and hierarchical data structures are what FLAIM is designed to
handle very efficiently.

http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Flaim

The products I've seen (like eDirectory) that use it are *exceptionally*
fast, and with the number of messages in some newsgroups, the performance
would be quite outstanding.

You wouldn't necessarily need the transactional capabilities it has, or
some of the other advanced features, and understanding how it works does
take some time because it's nothing like a traditional relational
database.

Now all that said - the idea of putting a database on the backend for Pan
was been talked about a long, long time ago, and ISTR that sqlite was
being used in the new development - is that correct?

Jim