pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: "MySQL Backend?"

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: "MySQL Backend?"
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 00:20:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 11 May 2007 23:30:42 +0200, Robert Krig wrote:

> Hi guys. I was just wondering about something. Would it bring any speed
> improvement if PAN would use a MySQL backend to store Articles and
> Newsgroups?
>
> It seems as if PAN often chokes on very large newsgroups while browsing,
> entering, or updating them. I was wondering if this could be improved
> upon with an (optional) mysql backend as DB Storage?

I'm quite sure mysqlite is what Unison uses (native OSX news-reader)
<http://www.panic.com/unison/>.  Shareware, no open source.
And no, it's not any faster, suffers from same problems in
large groups.  :(  I have reported it, tho, but it seems to have
stumped them as well, no new update since early February 2007.