pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: global scores

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: global scores
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:56:44 +0000 (UTC)

Thufir <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 12 May 2007 23:51:46
+0000:

> The Duncan character plays a bigger role in the series :)

Interesting.

Despite all the exotic references it calls up, Duncan is simply my real
last name.  My first is John, but few folks call me that and I don't tend
to respond to it either (except when it's my folks or siblings), thereby
encouraging the trend.  I started going by Duncan simply due to the
constant mixups due to there being so many Johns, and even Donnas!  The
classiness and culture associated with the Duncan name (particularly
Duncan McCloud of Highlander, but I've got another one on the list now,
Duncan Idaho of Dune) is a pleasant bonus.  I'm certainly glad it's a
positive image not a negative one, but to me, Duncan is simply my (last
and preferred) name.

I do have a sort of funny reply when folks ask about it, tho.  I tell
them I've found there's always too many Johns around... unless you need
one! =8^)  People generally laugh, but do generally remember to call me
Duncan after that, so it has the intended result. =8^)