pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan2 - The bits I really miss

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan2 - The bits I really miss
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:56:36 +0000 (UTC)

Travis <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 22
Jun 2007 23:13:50 -0700:

>> Ok to clarify, I mean saved. I select a bunch of articles and select
>> save to disk. They don't get marked as read as they are saved, in older
>> Pan 1.x versions they did
>>
>> Steve
>
> When I download and save articles using Pan 0.131 they are marked read.
> They change from bold to not bold anyway.

Same here.  When load a message, either to save or to read it, it gets
marked read automatically.

Steve, you are probably missing one of two things.

(1) Old-pan had a three-way indicator, bold was new, normal (Roman) was
old but unread, grayed out was read.  New-pan doesn't distinguish new
from old, and doesn't have the grayed out, so bold is unread, normal is
read.  It's possible you were interpreting the normal font as old but
unread (what it was in old-pan), and waiting for grayed out to be read,
but normal indicates read now -- there's no grayed out. and bold simply
means unread, there's no new.

(2) It's also possible you are using a font that doesn't show the
difference between bold and normal.  If you aren't seeing a change, try
changing your font to one that you know has a distinctive bold from
normal.

To double-check, as the message is marked read, the count for the group
in the groups pane will go down.  When all messages are read, it'll be
zero and there'll be no count listed.  (Do note that ignored messages
don't get marked read or deleted automatically anymore, as was possible
using rules in old-pan.  If you still have a count shown, but the group
isn't showing any unread messages when you actually check, it's likely
that there are ignored messages that aren't being displayed.  You'll
either need to mark the group read manually, or toggle view ignored
messages on to see them and mark them read.  For that reason, I simply
leave view ignored messages on, and any time I see the ignored color, I
mark it read without downloading it.)

If the messages indeed aren't being marked read, if it's not a
misinterpretation because you didn't see grayed out and not a problem
with a font that doesn't show bold; if the counts in the group pane never
go down when you read or save a message, then you have indeed found a
bug, and it should be filed as such, because it's working for most of us.