pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: An "alias" feature for group names

From: Rinaldi J. Montessi
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: An "alias" feature for group names
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 04:56:01 -0400

Matej Cepl wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:35:05 -0400, Rinaldi J. Montessi scripst:
Older versions of Netscape Communicator news client (up to 4.xx) had a
feature similar to this.  I believe it involved manipulation of the
newsrc file either at the server end or the user end.  Those
manipulations added by the user would be overwritten if the newsrc file
was updated.  For instance, the newsrc contained the entry:

netscape.communicator "Netscape Communicator"

It's quite nice idea, except if it doesn't break compliance with .newsrc format (could somebody point me to some description of its format?) -- I am working on the same .newsrc with pan and slrn (when connecting through ssh) and I would be really pissed off, it it breaks.

I just went back into my archives. This is the format Netscape's server used:

netscape.communicator,Netscape%20Communicator,1,3babd37f,1fd
netscape.communicator.mac,Communicator%20for%20Macintosh,d,3babd37f,1fe
netscape.communicator.unix,Communicator%20for%20Unix,1,3babd37f,1ff

The data between the first and second comma is the pretty name. (%20=space)

This was in the hostinfo.dat file which contains the complete list of groups available. It appears Pan does not follow this convention. Nor does slrn.

--
Real programmers don't bring brown-bag lunches.  If the vending machine
doesn't sell it, they don't eat it.  Vending machines don't sell quiche.