pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: An "alias" feature for group names

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: An "alias" feature for group names
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:27:46 +0000 (UTC)

Benjamin Esham <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 22 Jun 2007 03:46:12
+0000:

> I'm not sure how categories would solve this problem.  I could create a
> "pan" category, but it would have only one group in it; likewise with my
> Inkscape and GnuPG groups.  At best, I would have a bunch of categories
> with only one group each.

It wouldn't directly, but it could by position.  If you had just those
three groups in a category, for instance, and they always appeared in the
same order, then you'd quickly learn to tell which group you were in at a
glance by position within the category.

Get over three or four within a category, of course, and that gets a bit
more difficult, but that's where the custom categories come in.  You
decide how you will use them and how many groups in a category, so you
simply don't put more than three or four groups in a category, and
vwalla, you can easily tell by category and position within the category
which group you are in.  In fact, at that point, the group names could
all be displayed as "*" for all the difference it would make, since you'd
be going by category and position.

Still, the last two sections expanded thing is the more direct solution.
I'm sure there are probably exceptions somewhere where the last two still
don't properly identify the group, but they are few and far between, and
in those few cases, position or other cues should supply the necessary
clues -- or simply don't toggle on the abbreviated names.