pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: An "alias" feature for group names

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: An "alias" feature for group names
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 02:54:02 +0000 (UTC)

Benjamin Esham <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:33:36
+0000:

> I've recently started to use Gmane to view most of my mailing lists
> (including this one).  I also have "abbreviate group names" turned on.
> As a result, my group pane shows a number of group names like
> "g.c.a.p.user", "g.c.g.g.users", "g.c.g.i.user", and so on.  Obviously,
> this isn't very helpful or informative.
>
> Would it be possible to implement an "alias" feature, so that each group
> has an alternate name that is shown when "abbreviate group names" is
> turned on?

Alias might work, but a different solution has been discussed.  I believe
Charles proposed it so he obviously agrees, but it remains to be
implemented.  The solution?  When abbreviated names is turned on, expand
the last TWO sections, not just the last section.  Thus using this group/
list on gmane as an example:

g.c.g.a.pan.user

Pretty much everyone agreed that would suffice, and from a developer
perspective, it'd be a very minor change to already debugged code,
instead of adding new code, possibly complete with new bugs.  As such,
the two-field solution could possibly be implemented before 1.0, while
the alias solution isn't likely to be.

The down side against aliases as you proposed is that since pan orders
groups alphabetically, aliases would allow one to rearrange groups
entirely to their liking, while the last-two-fields-expanded approach
doesn't change that at all.

However, another often requested feature, custom categories, implemented
as a third tree level between Subscribed groups and the actual group
names (whether nesting would be allowed isn't known, that'd be worked out
at implementation), with the ability to put groups in the desired
category, would pretty much eliminate that as a problem, while solving
the problem of the huge subscribed group list as well.  If a user
arranged categories right, it'd also solve the aliasing issue, altho the
two-field abbreviated groupname expansion seems to me to be a more
"natural" solution.