pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Strange 0.131 behaviour on openSUSE 10.2

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Strange 0.131 behaviour on openSUSE 10.2
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:06:42 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 31 Jul 2007 03:06:01
+0000:

>> I agree that my first step would be to rename my .pan2 directory and
>> let pan start fresh with a new one.
>
> I like that - I can move files back singly as necessary to identify the
> problem file, assuming it behaves sanely when a clean .pan2 directory is
> there.

I saw your reply to me, and this is what I'd do too.  As you, I like to
know what's causing the problem and fix it, not wipe out whole dirs and
all sorts of customized configuration, just because something goes wrong.

One thing you might check... pan doesn't have any binary config files,
and the closest to binary it'd see would be yEnc-ed posts that it
downloads.  You already clear cache, so it shouldn't be the latter.  If
it's a corrupt file causing the issue, it may be easy to find... if you
have a text file that suddenly turns binary in the middle.  I've had
problems with corruption in the past (one of the reasons I'm running RAID
now), and got that with system files a few times.  Let's just say pan
isn't the only app to get indigestion when it encounters binary in the
middle of what's supposed to be a plain text config file! =8^P  I
remember discovering that, and saying to myself, no WONDER the thing
wouldn't work!