pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How do I get a header count for all groups?

From: Greg Lee
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How do I get a header count for all groups?
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:12:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 08:47:46 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:

> ... If I understand you correctly I
> select multiple groups in the group pane (with shift) and do a get N (1
> day ) headers? It would be a nice workaround, only it will take
> considerable more time (hours) then the old 'get header count option' :(

That does seem to be the suggestion.  Not much of a work-around, in
my opinion, since it doesn't tell you how many headers are available,
and since you can't trust Pan to give you n days of headers (when I
ask for 7 days of headers I get anywhere from a few hours' to
a few years' worth).

Since getting headers can be very time-consuming, very _very_
time-consuming, I think what's needed is an estimate of the number
of headers available, which does not involve actually fetching the
headers.  From the behavior of the newsreader I used previously, I'm
guessing that information is available from the news server.  I realize
the disparity between the count of articles and the count of article
parts would a problem ...

--
Greg