pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How do I get a header count for all groups?

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How do I get a header count for all groups?
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 20:36:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:01:39 -0700, Travis wrote:

> I would assume (I know I shouldn't) that some one told you about the
> group in the first place as opposed to you surfing the 100,000 + groups
> that are available.  So just go to the selected group.

Bad assumption; usually (at least for me), I'm interested in a subject,
so I go looking through an abbreviated list of the groups that have
keywords in their name that I'm looking for.  Like if I'm looking for
groups on Linux, I'll filter a server's list using the word "Linux", but
if I then want to see what group is an active group (a good indicator
that it might be a good starting place), knowing how many messages are in
the group provides a good way of knowing.

Old-Pan used to give the total number of messages in the group along with
the number of messages that are unread.

Your last statement is a bit confusing - how is the usefulness of a
function at all related to the difficulty of implementing it?  Either
it's useful or it's not; either it's difficult to implement or it's not.
The two have no relation to each other.  Useless functionality can be
difficult or easy to implement; useful functionality can also be easy or
difficult to implement.

Jim