pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Feature request: add port to servers, label servers for

From: Jack Cuyler
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Feature request: add port to servers, label servers for use with localhost
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:16:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 05:32:58 -0800, Phil wrote:

> I'm very disapppointed that the new Pan has removed the ability to add a
> meaningful user-defined label to a server (instead of the undescriptive
> "1", "2" etc). "newsrc-1" is a lot less meaningful than "newsrc-uninews"
> or whatever.
>
> Also, the server list under 'Edit News Servers' only shows the IP - not
> the port!
>
> Now, try setting up Pan to use, say, Stunnel for SSL support - this
> means your servers are all called, from Pan's server display, 127.0.0.1
> with different ports (but no label can be set to differentiate them for
> the user under 'Edit News Servers').
>
> This is defeaturing compared with the old Pan, but my old Pan is unable
> to amalganate headers from differnt servers.

Sorry for the late reply.  gmane just fixed a posing issue to this list.
Anyhoo.

As a workaround for your issue, you could use aliases to your /etc/hosts
and then use those aliases rather than an IP or "localhost" in pan.  For
example, say that you are using 3 news servers, new.gigaserver.com,
news.servernews.com and news.easynntp.com, each with it's own tunnel.

In /etc/hosts, add names for each on the 127.0.0.1 line (all one line):

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost gigaserver servernews easynntp

Set up your tunnels as usual.  Then in pan, specify each server by the
new name and tunneled port.  Each will still resolve to 127.0.0.1, but it
will be easier for you to distinguish which is which.

--
Cheers,
Jack

THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE DOES NOT END WITH HAIL SATAN
THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE DOES NOT END WITH HAIL SATAN
THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE DOES NOT END WITH HAIL SATAN
THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE DOES NOT END WITH HAIL SATAN

        Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 1F16