pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Feature request: add port to servers, label servers for

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Feature request: add port to servers, label servers for use with localhost
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 23:38:21 +0000 (UTC)

Phil <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 02
Jan 2008 12:07:56 -0800:

> Also: I guess I'm not the only one to say it, but expanding Pan to post
> binary attachments might be nice too.  Seems to be a big disadvantage
> vis a vis XNews etc etc.  Other than these things, I like Pan very much.

That's been on the todo list "forever", and at this point, seems likely
to stay that way.

Several years ago, one of the betas actually had a (not-yet-working) UI
interface for posting single-piece binaries, but Charles yanked it out
again.  He apparently wasn't satisfied with it, as it didn't handle multi-
parts nor do stuff like par, etc.

IMO, however, long before this point, the perfect has become the enemy of
the good.  "Trivial" (that is, single part) binary posting would be far
better than what we have now, and the usual answer, to use newspost or
the like, could remain, for batch-posting.

Meanwhile, I hacked up a method to use pan's external editor feature to
post "trivial" attachments with.  For technical reasons (the external
editor not getting access to the headers, new-pan not allowing arbitrary
8-bit in the edit window on return from the external editor), it's rather
limited, but it works for "identity", that is, simply copying in the text
of a file, not attachment per se, and uuencoding, at least.  With old-pan
it worked (from my tests) with yEnc as well, but the rewrite changed the
way the edit-window works, so it won't work with yEnc either, leaving
only UUE.

It's bash script, and available in two versions, both requiring uudeview
be installed to handle the actual encoding.  The first version only
requires that but was a very rough proof of concept, so is quite
difficult to use (no UI of its own, it works by scanning for keywords in
the text copied to it).  As such, it's available but it's unlikely I'll
ever do further updates on it.  The second version uses kdialog, part of
kdebase, for a UI.  It's far easier to use, but non-KDE-users may not
want the dependency.  A number of folks have used this version, however,
with a couple feeding back patches (which I have yet to incorporate, but
likely will at some point).

pan-attach (first version) and pan-attach-kd.  For more info, download
and either look at them with an editor, or just set them executable and
run them from a terminal window.  If run without parameters or with
--help, they'll spit out the expected help, including instructions.

http://members.cox.net/pu61ic.1inux.dunc4n/